Sunday, July 25, 2010

Fiestas Patronales 2010!!

So this weekend has been a pretty busy week here in Somoto. Right now it is the Fiestas Patronales, and it lasts for 3 days, and these people I assure you these peolpe know how to party. I guess anyone would when beers are only $1.00

Friday we went to the central area of Somoto, and of course a few beers were necessary to start off the night. Then usually around 7pm the entertainment starts. Theres a ton of loud music, and people dancing ther local dances etc. Everyone has a ton of fun, I´d even say a little too much fun! There are a ton of drunks here in Somoto, and some of the drunks even enjoy dancing. On Friday there were 4 drunks, all of which were of the male gender. And they started dancing together, and when I say together I really mean together, on of the guys was resting his head on the other guys shoulders, and they were doing a slow dance, kind of a waltz. It was very interesting, and quite hillarious, and it was to the point where people stopped watching the band and watched the guys dancing. The funny part is that they were actually very good at dancing and their steps matched eachothers almost perfectly.

This brings me to Saturday night...so last night we got to go to the arena and watch the gladiators!...ha no just kidding. But we did go to the arena to go watch bull riding. I thought it was really really cool. I have never actuallygotten to see anything like that, and it was really interesting to see something that is part of their culture. I´m sure this was notthing compared to the bull riding you´d find at the Calgary Satmpede, but all in all it was a pretty solid night.

So the most exciting news of all, which I am kinda excited for and kinda very nervous for is....well for this festival the town has invited us to play music in the closing ceremonies for the festival. So 3 of us will be up playing guitar and some of us will be singing. I am pretty nervous cuz there is about 200 people watching and I have both a guitar solo and a singing solo, which is really scary to me. I know I dont have the greatest voice, so its making me even more nervous. If youve noticed how jumpy this post is, its prolly cuz my mind has been focused on tonight´s performance. Hopefully by tomorow there will be a video or at least a picture of the performace.

Ill post soon, see ya! and wich me luck cuz I will sure as hell need at much of it as I can get!

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck!!! You gotta try and post some sort of video of your performance, I can't wait to see it!! What are you going to be singing?

    ReplyDelete